Friday, July 10, 2009

An Interesting Approach to Using SL for Language Arts

The other day I was in SL looking for different islands used for Language Arts classrooms, when I found one that focused on the Robert Frost poem, The Road Less Traveled. My assumption was that I would find an island full of fact on Robert Frost, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that the island designed as a place for students to collaborate and show their own intrepretation of the poem; after they removed its literal meaning. The assignment was given to a group of seventh graders, and instead of them talking about a time they did something different (which is what I would have done as a seventh grader reading this poem) the students created an area where other students can learn about eating disorders. The set up hits you hard because it is full of actual student images, images of people who suffer from eating disorders, and when you stand still fact cards slam into making sure you learn the hard truth about eating disorders.
It is hard for me to say, because obviously I wasn't there, but I would imagine that this assignment in SL provided a number of learning experiences. Among those is collaboration amongst a class to put all of this together. I am not 100% sure what building in SL entails, but I imagine that there are small costs, and that these students had to work together to really decide how this site would look. Another than forming communication and computer skills, these students must have had a heft conversation about the meaning of the poem and how that poem can be used for something other than its literal meaning. I'd be interested to know just how involved the teacher was in guiding students through the conversations.
As I think more about what I want to do for my own final project, I am intrigued by the idea of providing students with a place where they can work together to respond to literature and create intense methods of sharing their concerns.

No comments:

Post a Comment